Sic Parvis Magna
- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- - Ω - -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
❖ Experience the magic of roleplay and inspiration in the creative underworld thyself. It will prove mind-banishing for thee. ❖
- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- - -- - -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
❖ Trust in thy heart: Thou will not regret it. ❖
❖ Inscribe thou name to this fantastical phenomena. ❖
(Sign up now!)
Sic Parvis Magna
❖ Experience the magic of roleplay and inspiration in the creative underworld thyself. It will prove mind-banishing for thee. ❖
❖ Trust in thy heart: Thou will not regret it. ❖
❖ Inscribe thou name to this fantastical phenomena. ❖
(Sign up now!)
Sic Parvis Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Welcome to the Underworld.)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
❖ HAPPY NEW YEAR ROLEPLAYERS! ❖
❖ May 2014 bring even more brilliant, heart-wrenching creative works and many new wonderful memories to keep. ❖
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 107 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 am
Latest topics
» Walton
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:02 pm by OurStars

» Clockwork Winds
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 12:23 am by SoraAngel

» Marked | 1x1 | SoraAngel x Nightingale
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 am by SoraAngel

» Sincerest Apologies and Bright Promises
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 pm by SoraAngel

» Music on Forum
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 pm by ZephyrSolace

» S I G I L [Open for Sign-Ups]
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 pm by Nightingale

» Romeo&Cinderella ♡ Roleplay
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 pm by Nightingale

» Eden's Cage - Roleplay
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 am by ZephyrSolace

» Dark Requiem | Role-Play
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm by ZephyrSolace

Statistics
We have 37 registered users
The newest registered user is saintjoain

Our users have posted a total of 594 messages in 86 subjects
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Sincerest Apologies and Bright Promises
Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 pm by SoraAngel

Dear Residents of this vast underworld,

How is everyone? May Hades smile down upon you all. He is most certainly not smiling down at me at this moment. But …

Comments: 0

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 am

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 T134662898147ed1cbcb0fcaafdb0a04832faf5f51f98

Cassandra realizes that she may have embarrassed Umbra, at least based upon the raven-haired young woman's sudden blush, or more of a redden really, as part of it is probably flushing from the heat of the lights which are angled at them for optimum photo lighting. The young woman decides that she really likes this elusive girl with striking blue eyes and a tendency to blush at rather small compliments and such. With this opinion formed, she smiles slightly down at the girl as she hesitates before giving an answer, a small pause that the percepive model cannot help but notice and note. They have stopped moving at this point, prompting Calcifer to take a few pictures of this stationary moment.

"Greece? It is a lovely place, I've been there before. All the history, the beauty and knowledge in their past, it quite enraptured me at the time," Cassandra responds calmly, but she is surveying Umbra carefully at this point, sensing that something is off based upon a slight emotion in Umbra's eyes that doesn't match sincerity- perhaps uncertainty, or even guilt? It is hard to ascertain for sure, of course, but the modest beauty seems to display some portion of her inner thoughts and emotions fairly openly across her face, making it no difficult task to guess what her current feelings are. The woman wants to press further, ask more about this past that Umbra seems to hesitate about telling, or perhaps may even be hiding, but if it is worth hiding from the beginning, then it would be impolite and tactless to ask more on the subject. Instead, she nods with a serene expression as Umbra describes it as lovely, and brings up the fact that she has no family there, but visits occasionally nonetheless. "Oh, me? Hardly anything interesting, but I was born in Afghanistan, in a small village, but after my grandfather died, when I was ten, we moved to England, so my mother could continue her medical practice without persecution," Cassandra says quietly, "My name is actually Chehra, but my mother called me Cassandra after a women she once knew."

"I met a young man in college with a talent for makeup, and he asked if he could practice on me. A great nuisance at the time, but we still get along," Cassandra adds, a slight twinkle in her eye and a smile pulling at her lips as she admits to this. At this point, Calcifer calls over to them that they can go and change, that this spreads shoot is over now. He thanks them, and then walks up to the pair with a large grin. "You guys were great. Cassandra, make up and dress are ready for you for the Rumplestiltskin shoot."
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 am

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 T1347412834910f7fb6de607fb31e4cb051b4900a121c

Chehra. Due to her many travels, Umbra felt familiarity with the word. It vaguely reminded her of the word "face," in Urdu, although Afghanistan held a variation of languages. Still, most words there did derive from Urdu, and she wondered why someone would name their daughter such a thing. Unless, of course, there were multiple definitions, and she could only think of one.

So immersed she was in Cassandra's story that Umbra didn't realize Calcifer wasn't taking pictures of them anymore until he strode right over to them, a wide smile on his face. Before Umbra could make something of Cassandra's sudden gentle smiles or warm voice, she was looking down at herself again, the insanity of the day catching up to her. Suddenly, she felt dizzy. In her discomfort, she forgot she had told herself not to look at Calcifer anymore, that she was still supposedly mad at him. She let herself gaze into his unique eyes of lavender, remembering the times she would use to watch the same eyes light up from afar, the same eyes twinkling on a baby's boy's face, in her arms for only a few precious seconds. The thought made her feel like gnarled branches were twisting her heart, thorns digging into the recesses of all her feelings. Her eyes welled up with tears and she wiped them quickly, forcing herself to look away. In a voice she struggled to keep from breaking, she asked quietly, "May I go now?" She wasn't needed, and didn't want to be here anymore. This place where everyone else was happy, content with their lives, easily fitting into this massive puzzle that had become life.

"I want to go." Her voice was strained, eyes watery, all anger or curiosity replaced with pure sadness. She tugged at the hem of her skirt again, hoping, wishing he wouldn't ask her to stay longer, but also knowing she had nowhere else to go. She felt selfish for wanting to leave only because she was alone, horrible because she almost hated all these people because of their simple happiness.
It only occurred to her after she had spoken that there was no way she could go on her own, because she had no idea where they were. However, she sill did not spare a glance at Calcifer, knowing it would only hurt her more. "Please take me home..." She trailed off, knowing that this (whatever this was) was important to him, and she couldn't ask him to abandon it because she desired to leave. "I can... wait until you're done." she added. "I'll just go... change..."

Now where were the changing rooms?
Back to top Go down
https://sic-parvis-magna.forumotion.com
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 T134662898147ed1cbcb0fcaafdb0a04832faf5f51f98

Unlike Cassandra, Calcifer is not particularly gifted at reading the pain that crosses over Umbra's face, and thus continues to beam with pride at having found a model who meshed so well with the tall British woman. Most others have slight difficulties because they find her a bit too serious about everything, or instead they find her to simply be too quiet for their tastes. However, he cannot remain oblivious to her discomfort any longer as Umbra looks over at the young man with a displeased expression. Huh? What's wrong? It was going really well, wasn't it? he wonders, thoroughly puzzled by the look on the young woman's face as she looks at him. There is something almost reminiscent in the way she looks at him, but of course the young man doesn't know that. Unlike her, he cannot know the past, being a descendant- not even a reincarnation of some sorts who may have the capacity to recall their former selves. He merely looks at her, ignorant to the cause for the sudden flash of wistful sadness across her face, though he can label it as very old and very lonely. There is an urge to take a picture, and he quietly raises his personal camera and snaps one, before dropping it so that the lanyard strains against his neck, his expression strangely solemn. "Sorry," he whispers, for even the lively young lad cannot be perpetually blissful in ignorance.

"May I go now?" she asks him, voice small and pleading, sending a strange pain through Calcifer's chest with her tone, which seems to match the spark in her clear blue eyes. Cassandra looks between the two and takes a step away, quietly excusing herself before going off to change into the next shoot's wardrobe, leaving the pair alone. Well, alone in that area, for the speed of the photo shoot continues around them, carried on by busy people who focus only on the task at hand, not the photographer and the impromptu model who stand in the middle of a set. "I want to go."

"Oh, I- do you want to stop for lunch first? After the-" Calcifer begins, trying to revamp his normal attitude but being interrupted by Umbra as she speaks once more, eyes watery but tone rather determined.

"Please take me home. . .I can wait until you're done," she adds, basically responding to the apology which the young man had been just about to put into words. For once, Calcifer feels awkward- not a very common experience for the sociable and charming boy. "I'll just...go change."

"Right, of course. Erm- do you want to go to lunch first, though? As payment for the shots? You took some pretty good ones, after all. Oh, the dressing rooms are back there, Danica can lead you back. She can take the makeup off as well, if you like, but it does looks rather pretty," everything comes out in one breath, racing at the same pace as his mind. He feels strangely nervous, but chalks it up to being caused by the strange sadness in her eyes.

Last edited by OurStars on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 T1347412834910f7fb6de607fb31e4cb051b4900a121c

Calcifer's sincere, mumbled apology was missed in Umbra's sad thoughts. Many people may have been offended when Calcifer lifted his own camera for a shot of her face, as if he was using her sadness to his own advantage - but not Umbra. In fact, she barely even registered it. Instead, she kept her eyes trailed on the floor as he went on about lunch, as payment for something she could not understand. In the end, she assumed he was just being kind, and that turning him down may hurt his feelings. Just this, she told herself, I'll have just this, and it'll be OK. This and nothing more, she decided. After this "lunch" they would part ways as unlikely friends, and she wouldn't have to think about him again, wouldn't have to think about the companionship she simply could not have, even if she continued to desire it for selfish reasons.

Instead of saying anything, she bit her lip and nodded. But it occurred to her thatit may look like grudging acceptance, and so she managed a small, "OK. Thank you, Calcifer." Before she turned away. Danica was by her side in an instant as if magically summoned, and for once Umbra let herself be led away without struggle. Only when she was back in the dressing robe did she realize that Calcifer had said she looked pretty. Why such a thought would linger in her mind, she did not know, but it made her angry at herself. She mustn't let herself get affected by his small comments. She supposed, remembering the girl from before, that he said this to lots of women, and that it shouldn't mean anything to her.

But like it or not, it meant a lot to her - more than anything had in a long time.

Last edited by SoraAngel on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm

There is a moment of silence, the awkwardness of it felt even by the indomitable Calcifer, before Umbra speaks again, her voice uncertain and her expression equally dubious. It comes after a bitten lip and a minuscule nod, almost unnoticeable. Both of these actions had dampened his mood a bit temporarily, for they hardly appear to be the most enthusiastic of agreements. Perhaps every person isn't jumping through hoops to have lunch with the charming boy with the violet eyes, but most of them tend to be a bit more chipper about the prospect- especially those of the female persuasion. Umbra, however, is different, it seems. Still, when she speaks and smiles, he cannot help but beam back, pleased with her relatively positive response. "Okay. Thank you, Calcifer," she says sweetly, before Danica, in her horn-rimmed glasses and with her professional yet outgoing expression, appears beside Umbra, seemingly out of thin air. The woman always seems to know exactly where she ought to be- a trait that promises to take her to the top one day, if luck also has a hand in it. She's certainly skilled enough to make it in this lucrative but risky business. Calcifer raises his hand for the temporary goodbye, but the young woman is whisked away before he can say anything- a phenomenon in itself (his inability to get a word in, that is.)

The young man smiles and chats with the employees, distracting himself as much as possible, before Cassandra comes back out in the appropriate attire for the next shoot. She gives Calcifer a knowing look, as though she can see straight through his strange eyes, before they set to work. Though he admires her as a model and as a beauty, even Calcifer must admit that the young woman is strange- she seems to give off a vibe of wisdom beyond her years. Like Umbra, Calcifer thinks, before realizing that he is doing it. However, despite only knowing her a day, he understands this to be true by what he has been able to see through a lens. Perhaps that is what makes her so fascinating, though he strangely lacks the same interest in Cassandra. Perhaps it is more than that, then. It is difficult for the young man to say, truly, so he distracts himself with the shoot, whilst Cassandra appears to hold back questions, sticking to her job when curiosity plagues her.

"I like her," she comments finally, even the quiet Cassandra incapable of completely biting back the spilling thoughts. Calcifer's eyes widen slightly, before his expression sinks into a comfortable smile and he nods. While he may seem a player, it isn't really because he likes to play with the hearts of others, or because he means harm. Every new affection, to him, has the potential to evolve further. It just never does, and so he moves on. The warm smile evolves into a goofy grin, "Well, I saw her first," he jokes, wondering if that means anything at all. Suppressing the thoughts, the photographer continues to snap pictures, calling out the occasional direction, or sending someone to move a prop about during it. After a while, the shoot ends and Cassandra returns to the dressing room, while Calcifer waits for Umbra.

He watches those doing odd jobs with little envy, for he remembers when he was an assistant and had to help rearrange sets and such. The position of photographer is much more to his liking, and luckily the young man is considered a rather trendy and desirable photographer to have at a shoot for the moment.
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Danica took her time gently easing Umbra out of the dress. Embarrassed at the exposure - even though Danica was the only person around - Umbra quickly slipped on her own, plain black dress ruffling her hair in the process. "Would you like me to revert it back to your own style?" Umbra wasn't sure what revert or style meant, but what else could Danica be asking but changing her hair back? So Umbra sat back in a chair as she felt her hair being smothered with a wet towel and then heated with what Danica called a blow-dryer. Like before, Umbra tried to hide her fascination at all these new things, only asking Danica the occasional question. Still, the bespectacled woman found no trouble responded, and did not seem suspicious in the slightest - only occasionally amused.

Once they were done, Umbra washed her face and glanced at her reflection in the mirror. She had calmed herself down somehow, and was getting (if only slightly) accustomed to the quick-paced action around her. Securing her precious teacup in her pocket, Umbra slowly made her way back to the place where the "shooting" occurred. Danica had rushed off somewhere (most likely where she was needed) but the place was not hard to find, for it seemed the center of everything. She stood against one of the back walls and watched Cassandra reappear in yet another elegant dress with yet another neck that swooped too low for Umbra's taste.

What really stilled her breathing, however, was when they carried out the spinning wheel. Her face paled and she found it hard to breathe, but got herself to exhale before anyone took notice. Did they still use spinning wheels? She hadn't seen any until now, and wasn't straw made more in the countrysides, where she had met that girl? Umbra watched, eyes wide, as they placed the wheel beside Cassandra, who promptly posed near it, tracing her fingers over the wizened wood and occasionally giving it a spin. Umbra's eyes followed its movements until a memory sucked her within itself.

"What's troubles you, beautiful lass?"
"Oh, my father has lied to the king! I am to perform but
an impossible task of spinning this straw into gold!
I am doomed, stranger!

"Now now, how about I give it a try...?

Someone yelled that the shoot was over, and Umbra came to a little unbalanced on her feet. She saw Calcifer standing a few feet away, absorbed in his camera, and she walked over to him slowly, carefully. She found herself momentarily lost in his eyes of amethyst before he could take notice of her, and then stared down at the ground quickly before she spoke. "Is it time for us to leave now, Calcifer?"

Back to top Go down
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Calcifer is lost in his thoughts as he pulls out his camera and a small cloth to clean the lens with, a habit he holds when his mind is busy but his hands are not. Before, he had been moving rather quickly, as usual, but now the young man seems shockingly still, expression contemplative and the cleaning rhythmic, almost soothing. Well, not almost soothing- it is a very soothing motion for the photographer, which those who know him well are aware of. This current stillness and calm, a contrast to the chaos all around him as people clean up and such, gives him the chance to really think about the fact that Umbra is something of a mystery, and that it makes him so curious that restraining a flow of questions is rather difficult. Who is she, though? She doesn't speak as though she is from around here, and doesn't act it either. Old-fashioned, born in some rural village south of nowhere? Well, maybe, but somehow I doubt that. She seems well-traveled, after all, and a bit too sad for a person who has spent their entire life surrounded by the same, he muses before looking up, his violet eyes meeting a pair of midnight blue ones.

Instantly snapped out of his thoughtful state, Calcifer's mouth begins to grow into a lovely and cheerful smile as he raises his camera to his eye, another habit of his, before freezing with the view of her which he sees through the lens, though he does not capture the image. There is something in her eyes, something that he is only capable of seeing through the lens, that nearly frightens him, and at the very least sends a chill down the young man's skin, raising goosebumps. He can't place an exact name on the emotion, or whatever it is, hidden among the dark seas of blue, but it is strangely haunting. What? he lowers the camera to face her, letting it hang against his neck now, long enough to hit just above his hips- normally, he keeps it over his shoulder as a woman would a long purse or a messenger bag.

"Is it time for us to leave now, Calcifer?" she asks, the words registering a tiny bit late for the young man, so he speeds up like a video on the internet to catch up to where he should be, instantly jumping to his feet and smiling broadly at her, as though the action can somehow get rid of whatever it was that he had seen in her haunting eyes. His own violet eyes hold flickers of doubt, but he has resolved that he isn't going to allow the young woman to run away just yet, though she seems as jumpy as a fawn, paralyzed temporarily by the headlights, but ready to sprint away in a matter of seconds. One merely has to keep the lights on to keep the deer frozen in place.

"Right, yes, of course! Do you have anywhere in particular you'd like to go to lunch? Or, have you not been here long enough?" he asks cheerfully, guiding her out of the studio and waving goodbye to Danica and the designer.
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm

OOC: Sorry for short post ._.

"Er, well.... Umbra turned her cup over in her pocket nervously when Calcifer asked her where she'd like to go. But her anxiety quickly vanished when he cheerfully went on, "Or have you not been here long enough?"

Umbra smiled politely, apologetically. "Yes, I'm afraid I don't know any places... But..." She didn't want to seem imposing, but she'd had enough of noise for the day. "May we...go somewhere quiet? Somewhere nice...and quiet. I would...like that."

It wasn't as bright outside anymore - the kind of dullness before sunset where the breeze picked up and the sun went behind the clouds. Umbra closed her eyes, letting the sadness and excitement and all the other emotions of the last few hours leave her. She was going to enjoy herself, and not think about anything else. As long as it would be over by the end of the day, she could leave and be content with a few precious moments of happiness.

Besides, if it had been with anyone, she was glad it was Calcifer. Some thing he did may have been questionable, but his smile was nice, his laughter infectious, and his eyes were a beautiful color.
Umbra found herself looking at them again, but catching herself, she blushed and turned away. They really were quite nice.

Back to top Go down
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 pm

This time of day, though it may seem rather dull an uninteresting to others, his certainly Calcifer's favorite. Perhaps the low-hanging sun is covered by clouds, but the underbellies of those clouds glow like celestial bodies, and there is a gentle sort of light washing over the rest of the world that has its own subtle perfection, not as flashy as a sunset, but lovelier all the same. Looking at the sky, Calcifer begins to laugh, realizing his mistake. He must have lost track of the time, having suggested they go out for lunch when it is nearly dusk. "Well, dinner, I suppose," he corrects himself with a wide and genuine smile, quietly pleased with this. After all, it is a universally accepted fact that dinners are more romantic than lunches, and he has found himself wanting to have some sort of romantic connection with the demure woman beside him, though she is not necessarily his usual type. Rather, she seems superior to the sort of women he usually goes for, though the violet-eyed young man cannot place a finger on exactly why that is.

"Yes, I'm afraid I don't know any places. . .but. . .May we go somewhere. . .quiet? Somewhere nice. . .and quiet. I would. . .like that. . ." Umbra requests, even her simplest request sounding carefully phrased, as though she is afraid that he will be somehow offended by the fact that she is trying to put a standard on where they go out to eat together. This is clearly not the case, as his wide smile warms, falling down to a more comfortable smile as he tries to resist the urge to pat her on the head, if only because he doesn't want her to assume that he is treating like her childhood.

"I wouldn't have it any other way!" he declares with some level of grandeur as the young man points towards some unseen horizon with a flourish, grinning ear to ear once more, probably hoping to make her laugh, though of course such a dramatic movement is typical for him regardless. He notices her staring at his eyes, but when he catches hers the young woman blushes and looks away, prompting a slightly confused expression on his face.

"You can look, if you like. That way, I can look at your eyes as well- they look like sapphires," he compliments her, while reassuring the girl. Still, he rather does like the rosy look of a blush on her- it adds color to her pale skin, looking like roses and cream or something else vaguely romantic.

"Come on, I know just the place," he instructs, grabbing her hand and tugging her away.
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm

"I wouldn't have it any other way!" Calcifer had exclaimed, only confusing Umbra when she followed his line of sigh to absolutely nothing. Her mystification may have bothered her more if she weren't so patient - she had grown experienced, and knew how to deal with frustration without getting exasperated. So she just allowed herself a small smile in response to Calcifer's wide one. He sure smiled a lot, didn't he? That alone made Umbra want to like him more. Her gaze lingered on his eyes, and when he noticed her staring, she looked away, face reddening. But unlike anyone she had ever known, Calcifer wasn't embarrassed or anxious. Instead, he went on almost matter-of-factly, "You can look, if you like. That way, I can look at your eyes as well—they look like sapphires."

Umbra's own eyes widened. She had never received many compliments besides the polite ones from the friendly people she had known. But so many right after another were almost too much to handle. And Calcifer...he seemed to say anything that was on his mind. His directness... Was it just a characteristic of the times, or was he just unique that way? It saddened Umbra that she couldn't tell. But if she thought about it, Cassandra had not displayed the bluntness that Calcifer did. And so maybe, it was just him. Umbra wasn't sure what to think of it. Surely, it couldn't be a bad thing to say what was on one's mind without restraint? Then again, weren't some things better left unsaid?

Her mind was straying. But her thoughts ended abruptly when he grabbed her hand and began pulling her down a random street. Her first instinct was to pull away and run for it, but it was quickly overcome with a warm fluttering spreading through her chest, and subconsciously, she held on tighter, her small fingers wrapping around his as he led her to whatever he considered the perfect place. It looked he hadn't minded her slight request - in fact, he seemed more than eager to fulfill it. Her eyes brimmed with euphoric tears, but she brushed them away quickly with her free hand.

Like sapphires, huh?

"Thank you, Calcifer,"she said, loud enough so he could hear, and she meant it. Maybe he would think it was just for the compliment, or a few words here and there, but right after several hours of sad memories and being dragged around against her wills, Calcifer's few honest words and brilliant grin was enough to blow away the rest of her doubts and misgivings. She was looking forward to this night. Hopefully, it would be a memory she could store away for whenever she was feeling sad or lost or lonely, and maybe, just maybe, she could come back every now and then just to visit. Maybe then, it wouldn't hurt so much.

Umbra hadn't hoped for something this hard in a very long time. And ironically, she had been in the same place with someone who looked exactly like the boy holding her hand now. The idea brought more blood to her cheeks, but she finally felt that perhaps some justice had been done when the miller's daughter had refused to give up her baby. That boy, the one she'd seen grown up, had been just as charming as Calcifer, but very, very different. And right now, Umbra was kind of glad that she had been able to come back to someone who had the same beautiful face, but lavender eyes that shined brighter than his predecessor and a smile that may even brighten Umbra's shadowed heart.
Back to top Go down
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Despite the fact that he knows he shouldn't be, Calcifer is quite a bit amused by the deepening of Umbra's blush when she realizes that he has caught her staring at him -his eyes, more specifically. In fact, though he is used to people being mesmerized by his rare violet eyes, the fact that she had been staring makes him the tiniest bit happier than he had been moments ago, and this is seen in the increasing cheer in his already bright expression. His violent eyes have a blithe sparkle in them, a bit of dancing soul behind the lovely irises. He doesn't appear nearly as embarrassed as she is, and that is probably accurate, thanks to a lifetime of attention and other such things. Still, he does feel something slightly warm in his face at the sight of her pretty rose and creams face, though it is unlikely to be revealed in his medium-hued complexion, which is neither tan nor incredibly pale. He certainly does not have the same snow white skin of Umbra, who is a contrast of colors, with coal black hair and pale skin, with large blue eyes to offset the starkness. It's as if she actually is Snow White from the fairy tales, huh? he muses with a playful smile, the corners of his lips seeming to dance a little bit.

She seems the exact opposite of him, so quiet and reserved whereas Calcifer is a charming extrovert of sorts. While she is lost in thought, Calcifer cannot help but find himself staring at her, the tables turned from where they had stood a few moments ago. She has a rather lovely contemplative expression, cool and calm, the emotions of her thoughts in her eyes rather than the twitching of facial muscles or the releasing of sighs. Soon, he is dragging her off to a place he knows, where there is a dock on the beach that one can eat on, or booths in the back for those who prefer even more quiet. It is popular with slightly artsier crowds, but on days such as these tends to be far tamer, providing a relaxing and perhaps slightly intimate atmosphere. The thought of it is pleasing enough to him, and the feeling of her hand tightening around his as he pulls her away only boosts his mood even more, his dancing smile widening once more into a sincere grin, deciding that he rather likes this Umbra girl.

"Thank you, Calcifer," the young man hears her voice from over his shoulder, but it not entirely sure what she is thanking him for. The compliment, perhaps? Taking her out to dinner? Submitting to her request? Whichever of those three options it may be, Calcifer doesn't fully understand her need to express gratitude. Why should one be thanked for observing beauty? Or for indulging their own desires by inviting a beautiful young woman out to dinner? He doesn't quite understand her logic, but accepts it all the same, giving her hand a quick squeeze as the two fall into a walk next to each other, having now reached each other and began towards the cafe which is their intended destination, though she isn't completely aware of that to date, of course. That makes it more interesting, anyways, because then he can see the genuine reaction on her face as Umbra decides whether to like or dislike the cozy establishment.

They head towards a building that looks something like a cottage on the sea, with a deck that holds three wooden tables. The inside of it is a quaint restaurant, though it is the type of thing that tourists may overlook due to its slightly shabby exterior appearance. "Welcome, Umbra, to Nana's," Calcifer says, sweeping his free hand out in an encompassing motion as a girl, perhaps in her mid-teens, with blond hair down to her waist and medium-sized green eyes, comes up to the pair.

"The Deck, then?" she guesses, as Calcifer comes here rather frequently. The young man responds with a grin and a nod, hardly noticing that his hand still holds the smaller, more fragile hand of Umbra. To him, the blonde girl is like a little sister, the granddaughter of Nana's owner who has lived here ever since her entire family both died in a fire. She wears a sweatshirt, but slight burn marks still flaw parts of her arms and a bit on the upper left-hand corner of her face.

The pair are directed to a table outside, where Calcifer pulls out Umbra's chair before going and sitting at his own. "May I suggest their hot chocolate? Simply amazing," he recommends.
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Calcifer's happiness was like a warm flame, drawing her closer, making her indulge in the warmth. His enthusiasm only made Umbra more excited, more elated at the prospect of being here, right now. Just a few days ago, in a city of previous, Umbra read something of delight in the library. She always found herself in the more quieter sections, where she would stretch out on a small chair and just read the day away. The particular memory that she recalled now was reading something of Ralph Waldo Emerson's, an essay titled "Self-Reliance." After the first read she was mystified but interested, and after the tenth, she was in love. She purchased a copy of it soon after, and even now it was tucked away in her almost empty apartment. She didn't carry much else with her, and because she lacked anything else to do, she often immersed herself in it, and by this time knew it so well that her favorite passages were embedded in her heart. Right now, one came to mind:

Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say 'I think,' 'I am,' but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose. These roses under my window make no reference to former roses or to better ones; they are for what they are; they exist with God to-day. There is no time to them. There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence. Before a leaf-bud has burst, its whole life acts; in the full-blown flower there is no more; in the leafless root there is no less. Its nature is satisfied, and it satisfies nature, in all moments alike. But man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time.

For a long time, Umbra had been saddened by the thought that she was never living life as it was meant to be lived. She spent each day mourning the past or dreading the future, and each passing second was wasted with sadness or tears, or empty thoughts. But at this moment, Umbra truly felt like as if she were living in the present, in this one moment with her hand enclosed in Calcifer's and her heart continuously hammering in her chest. She felt something truly strong growing inside her. For once, in Emerson's words, she was above time.

But alas, some things were not as infinite as Umbra wished to be. Umbra walked in sync with Calcifer (he as probably slowing his usual long strides to match hers) as they entered a cafe that seemed less than exquisite on the outside, but cheerful on the inside. It appeared to be at the edge of the world (but really, only against a sea of water) complete with calming music that reminded her of rushing waves. Groups of people were peppered around the small area, and towards the back Umbra could see large glass doors that expanded onto a wooden deck. It was a wonderful place, and Umbra's face glowed with the majesty of it all. Truly, it was perfect.

But Umbra's smile faded when the girl appeared. She had nice blond hair and her eyes were a beautiful green, but Umbra couldn't help but notice the scars snaking up her arm all the way up to the side of her face. Immediately, she wondered how the girl had gotten them, and if they felt real and unable to erased, a reminder for memories all too painful. She wanted to say something comforting, but before she could muster enough courage to do so without looking ignorant, Calcifer was leading her away outside. She barely registered as Calcifer, like a true gentleman, pulled back her chair before seating himself. She stared at the table for a moment until she realized Calcifer had asked her something. The words registered a bit late.

"Oh, I--of course, I'd love to try some." She attempted a small smile but failed, her sorrow leaking through. It occurred to her that she had left the present once more and dissolved into the past again. Emerson would be ashamed of her. She twisted her shaking hands together into a knot and rested them on the table. Blinking a few times until she was sure there were no tears, she looked at Calcifer apologetically. "I'm sorry..."

Back to top Go down
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Calcifer watches Umbra's expression intently when he first brings her to Nana's, watching as her expression shifts from slightly confused at having seen the rather unimpressive exterior to warm and pleased when she is brought into the interior of the building, which seems to glow with a cozy atmosphere that is addicting and intoxicating, drawing locals back time and time again. The people who are here all seem to be slightly interesting, for Nana's seems to draw such people, the types who meander towards the part of the beach that tourists avoid due to rocky parts and choppy waters. It brings the wanderers and artists, song writers and readers, thinkers and dreamers, creating an ambiance of creativity and acceptance in the tidbits one catches of hushed debates on philosophical matters and the glances one may steal at sketches on the backs of napkins. In fact, one wall in the back is devoted to such napkin sketches, which littler the wall by way of pushpin, tape, Silly Puddy, and staples.

Another side of the room holds a large bookcase, fondly known by regulars as the Mammoth for its imposing stature and dark brown color, having been made from polished driftwood. The Mammoth has five shelves, the bottom two of which are devoted to books which customers have accidentally left behind. Sometimes those people never came back for them, other times they noticed them on the shelf but never took them back, thinking of it as a donation of sorts. Some are in pristine condition, others have notes scribbled in them not only by previous owners, but by people who wanted to read something, but only were able to read a chapter or two before leaving. Some signed a page, others stayed all day to read it in its entirety, scribbling notes and thoughts on the back. There is only one book which has two copies on that shelf, and that book is A Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, the king of Smartasses. One of the copy has so many notes written in the margins that only a few of them are legible, and the other is perfectly preserved but for a message on the title page in loopy script which reads Do not write on this- I am coming back for it. That particular copy has been on the book shelf for two years, and yet it still remains an unspoken rule that no one so much as underlines a word in the copy, almost a sacred item in the little cafe.

The third shelf somewhat resembles the wall of napkins in that it exhibits the thoughtless art of patrons, although these doodles are on the paper cups in which one receives a hot drink, if they cannot claim ownership to one of the mugs that fill up the crowded fourth shelf. People are permitted to bring their own mug and use it when they come, if they so choose. Most people do, and use them unless they have the strong desire to doodle on a paper cup. The fifth shelf is actually left empty, or at least presumably is. It is too high up for even a rather tall person to see when standing on a chair, and no one has bothered to get on a latter. Some joke that the secret to the universe is written on a note on that top shelf, to go unnoticed for the rest of humanity's existence, until one person finds it just before the sun implodes and the Earth fades away- not with a bang, but with a whimper. This assumes, of course, that Nana's will be around forever. It is a hopeful thought, instilled in one of unfortunate timing.

As they had walked out to the deck, Calcifer lifts his hand or nods in greeting to several familiar faces, though most are absorbed in their own situations. He is smiling, but did not miss the fading frown of Umbra when she noticed the marks on Emily's face. He nudges her slightly in an attempt to snap her out of whatever she is thinking, but fails. When they are sitting, though, she seems to jerk back into reality, blue eyes shining with a sudden revival of clarity and awareness. Her eyes are impossibly deep, Calcifer muses with his warm smile. He always feels at home here, comfortable with the smell of salt and the slight sea breeze. The deck is illuminated with fairy lights, which are draped about, as well as the lanterns on each table. As the sun begins to set, it gives a rather beautiful flickering, though there remains enough illumination to see without straining one's eyes. "O-of course, I'd love to try one," Umbra says finally, attempting a smile but failing miserably as her expression falls once more. Calcifer nearly frowns, but knows that doing so will be of no help.

"I'm sorry. . ." she murmurs softly, looking down at her intertwined hands. Calcifer shakes his head with a smile, and turns his attention to Emily as the young woman comes back again. Though she lost her parents, the young woman seems happy enough, accepting of what has happened, though she had experienced severe depression for a few years following the event. Working at Nana's had helped her to rebuild herself and move on, though she does not forget her parents. She lives in both the past and present- those who forget the past, after all, are fools.

"Can we have two hot chocolates? I'll use my mug, please. We haven't decided on food yet, though," Calcifer realizes, still smiling cheerfully at Emily, who smiles back before nodding and glancing curiously at Umbra, looking confused about the misery on the raven-haired girl's face, before disappearing back inside.

"She doesn't cry over it anymore- neither should you," Calcifer comments softly, though his smile and his gaze towards the sea almost make it seem as though the words came from another person. He looks once more towards Umbra and reaches out to put a comforting hand over hers. "Okay?"
Back to top Go down
SoraAngel
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
Hades' Loyal Assisstant
SoraAngel

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Umbra's eyes widened at his touch, but she didn't pull away, ignoring her first instinct screamed at her to withdraw her hand. Instead, she basked in the warmth that radiated from his words, his faraway eyes. She nodded quickly, slightly surprised at his observation skills. Still, she thought to herself, he did spend a lot of his time behind that camera so it was obvious that he had a watchful eye.

He was being far too kind. Surely, he had no true interest in her, for he already had many female companions, it seemed. Umbra flushed slightly at the thought, but then reminded herself that she was supposed to be enjoying the moment and not thinking about aspects of past or present. For a second she sat up straight and gazed around. Something about this place, more than just the faint music and sound of waves, made Umbra feel almost other-worldly. Other-worldly. She was other-worldly.

Gazing at Calcifer, Umbra was seized with the sudden desire to share everything with him, her secrets and her deception, the smallest of detailed memories that she had kept inside for so long, far too long. But she caught herself just in time, bit her lip. Ir occurred to her that perhaps she should order something, to be polite. Grudgingly pulling her hand out of Calcifer's, Umbra reached for the menu placed in front of her. Only ten seconds worth of scanning, however, made it clear to Umbra that she was unfamiliar with almost everything on the menu. She looked at Calcifer, feeling sheepish, but also free from post of the prior sadness. "I'm not quite sure what to order, Calcifer. Would you...order for me?" She smiled a small, sweet smile, one of her rare genuine grins that only surfaced now and again. Once he had ordered, she fought again for words to exchange, for something to say that would shatter the awkward veil between them, but came up with nothing.

She bit her lip again, but the action reminded her of that morning and she stopped short. Now that she thought about it, there was still something Calcifer needed to answer. Taking a deep breath, Umbra tried not to sound too demanding or embarrassed in her inquiry. "Calcifer... Why did you kiss me this morning? I hope you know that perhaps...it meant a lot more to me than it meant to you." What was she saying? She wasn't sure, but the words were coming all on their own, without thought. She traced her fingers over the tabletop, recreating patterns of archaic times and words Emerson had embedded into her mind. "I don't mean to be imposing, and I don't mean to say that you... that we..." Oh for heavens sake, Umbra! She scolded herself. She was making a fool of herself! Instead of trying to go on, she just sighed and shook her head, as if disregarding her own previous words. "Do not mind me, Calcifer. Sometimes I just do not know what to say. I just want to...enjoy this night." That at least was true, and simple. She looked up at him, waiting, but also dreading, his response. Had she gone too far? Umbra had never delved in a relationship deeper than that of innocent and perhaps childlike friendship, and so she was never quite sure what to say or do. She stumbled over her words often, and most of the time she could not even sift through her own troubled thoughts.

Back to top Go down
OurStars
Common Euridite
Common Euridite
OurStars

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 am

Calcifer is rather pleasantly surprised to find that Umbra does not immediately draw her hand away from his, as he had assumed that she would. Her hand is somewhat cold, but in a way that is somehow comforting- cool and calm, though her own emotions seem to have a wide range. Of course, from what he has observed so far, mostly from behind the lens of a camera, every emotion she feels still possesses the chilled undertones of sadness and some feeling of oldness. Silly as it seems, she rather reminds him of a character from a TV show, a character who is very old, very kind, and the very last of his people. It is interesting to entertain the notion that she might be as well, but also rather unsettling, for he would not wish that on anyone, that impossible loneliness of being the only. Trying to ignore such thoughts, the young man smiles warmly at her, not intending to remove his hands from hers until she makes a move to slide away. Though she does not seem entirely uncomfortable with their current position, he has come to acknowledge, at this point, that the dark-haired girl before him is a rather shy and modest character, and is easily flustered by what he considers to be tiny things. It is equal parts precious and confusing, only adding to her strange mystique. It is naturally for someone to remain somewhat ambiguous in nature when you have only known them a day, but something about her seems to reach past the normal enigmatic nature of a stranger. This trait kindles great curiosity in his violet eyes, and only makes the naturally inquisitive soul want to delve deeper.

He has a Peter Pan aspect to him that makes Calcifer love adventure and curious things, while still somewhat fearing the consequences of growing up. This adds to the charming part of him, many girls seem to believe. Perhaps this is due to the fact that most people have, whether as children or adults, dreamed of flying off to a world where one never has to grow up. Regardless of his slightly fickle personality, Calcifer presents this sort of alluring warmth and aspect of cheerfulness- the sort who would never intentionally hurt someone without some necessity presenting itself.

Despite the fact that her delay in withdrawing her hand had surprised him, Calcifer is still slightly disappointed when the young woman in front of him pulls her hand away. Still, he doesn't protest, not thinking of it as a very important thing, the slight fall in his expression vanishing quickly to a blithe smile. "I'm not quite sure what to order, Calcifer. Would you. . .order for me?" her words are somewhat unimportant, especially in comparison to the sudden flash of smile across the lovely woman's face, something that he hasn't entirely seen before in her, with its sincerity and lack of effort. Calcifer nods with a shrug, the gesture meant to tell her that she shouldn't be so hesitant to ask something so simple of him. "As you wish," he says with a grin, somewhat expecting her to just understand the reference, though of course she very well may not. Emily returns with the hot chocolate, and he orders them both a shrimp and fish soup, as well as a rather delicious autumn salad, with walnuts and cranberries and the sort in it. While he is consistent in his purchasing of hot chocolate when he comes here, the young man likes to get different orders each time, mixing and matching various things. Besides, Umbra doesn't really seem the burger-and-fries type, so he wants to go with something just a bit classier. Of course, this place is still just a cafe, so there isn't anything too fancy on the menu.

A silence falls between the two after Emily leaves with their order, though Calcifer justifies it by taking a sip of his hot chocolate, still scalding. Strangely, it is Umbra who breaks the silence, something which seems odd, given her rather reserved nature. However, her words seem more nervous than comfortable, and he dislikes this slightly. "Calcifer, why did you kiss me this morning? I hope you know that perhaps. . .it meant a lot more to me than it meant to you." Realizing that she might be hurt, Calcifer opens his mouth to respond, but Umbra has begun to speak once more, cutting him off before he actually utters a word.

"I don't mean to be imposing, and I don't mean to say that you...that we," he is slightly confused by these words, not properly certain of what she is trying to say in this instance, though is sounds like an unnecessary apology for a perfectly reasonable question. Umbra, however, backtracks even further again, apparently still unsatisfied with what she has said. The girl seems so retrospective, always looking back at the past. Calcifer is the opposite of this. He dislikes the past, and so ignores it as fully as possible, instead focusing on the present and future. Perhaps this is what gives him talent as a photographer, but it also leaves him doomed to repeat past mistakes, not completely able to accept the past. "Do not mind me, Calcifer. Sometimes I just do not know what to say. I just want to...enjoy this night."

"You should stop taking back what you say. It makes the words seem. . .less sincere," Calcifer encourages with a comfortable smile, taking another sip of his hot chocolate, which has begun to reach a less formidable temperature. "Why did I kiss you? Hm. Because I am not in the business of denying myself simple desires, and you were beautiful," he sounds rather unapologetic about this, rather casual but completely serious and unflinchingly genuine. That is one of the young man's better qualities. He may be childish and may choose to forget the past and may be fickle, but he never says something that he doesn't mean. That is another thing which he is not in the business of: denying himself honesty.

"All the same, I apologize if it had made you uncomfortable."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP   Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange Names & Guessing Games | 1x1 | RP
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3